Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS)
The programme aims to provide delegates with the knowledge and understanding to help them manage health and safety on site in accordance with current legal provisions and within the context of their managerial role in the building, construction and civil engineering industries. The course highlights the need for risk assessment in the workplace and supports delegates in being able to implement the necessary control measures to sustain a health and safety culture among the workforce.
Supported by CITB grant
About this course
The Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) is ideal for site and project managers working in the construction sector. The 5-day SMSTS course and the 2-day SMSTS Refresher ensure that site managers have a thorough understanding of their legal responsibilities, not only for the health and safety of everybody working and visiting your site but also for the environmental impact on the site and the local area.
The SMSTS course covers the following:
- Health and safety facts and figures
- Accident prevention
- Health and safety management systems
- Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
- Health and safety policies
- Manager’s responsibilities
- Working at height
- Planning and organising
- Risk assessment
- Access equipment
- Working environments
- Site layout and planning
- Transport and logistics
- Material management
- Management of contractors
- Construction design & management (CDM)
- Regs HSE core criteria for company & individual competence
- Health and safety management for plant, equipment and systems of work
- Manager’s and supervisor’s responsibilities
- Health and safety management on site
- Manual handling
- Environmental and waste management
- Monitoring health and safety
- Surveys and tours
- Health and safety auditing
- Accident reporting and investigation
- Pro and reactive monitoring
- Site briefing
- Health and safety communications and training
- Behavioural safety and change
- Provision of information, instruction and training competencies
- Construction health and safety
- LPG and HFL
- Confined spaces
- Site planning and layout
- Requirements to plan health and safety within the context of a project
- Debrief and discussion
Who this course is for
The Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) is designed for managers, agents and persons who have, or are about to acquire, the responsibility for planning, organising, monitoring and controlling site based staff. This course is endorsed by the United Kingdom Contractors Group (UKCG) as a means of proving a site manager’s competence.
This 5 day course is highly interactive and is delivered by means of classroom based tutorials including case studies,exercises and individual/group presentations
CITB Accreditation valid for 5 years.
This five-day course is highly interactive and is delivered by means of classroom-based tutorials including case studies, exercises and individual / group presentations. All candidates are provided with the following CITB course publications: • GE700: Construction Site Safety manual • XA6: Case Studies and Notes Book. Delegates will be continually assessed throughout the course through individual and group exercises.
Successful delegates will pass a multiple-choice assessment at the end of the course.
Check price and availability
It is important that all delegates have a good understanding of spoken and written English.